Friday, June 09, 2006

Pride


JR over at Memoirs of a Gay Chia and the incredibly sexy Kelly Stern had this on each of their individual blogs. Kelly asked that every blogger post this picture as a symbol of Pride for this month. I think it's a great idea.

Concurrently, this morning composed this letter in my head on the way to work this morning:

Dear San Francisco aka "The City" -

You are gearing up for quite a show. In the past few days, you have put out more ranibow flags and gay pride signs that I have ever seen. There is much hype and talk about this "Pride" celebration that is about to happen, and having never been to a pride before, I'm not sure what all the fuss is about. I mean a parade? More circuit parties? Muscle queens and bears on bikes invading you from places like Duluth and Pensacola? Eugh. Why even bother.

Then this morning I got it. I was walking down my foggy, tree lined street towards the MUNI Station, and in front of me was a cute couple holding hands and walking down the hill together. They were both dressed smartly, in business clothes, carrying matching messenger bags, and drinking their coffee. They paused breifly to smooch under a wall of bougenvilla, and then made their way to the train.

San Francisco, you have made it hard for me to be here. My first month here you brought me in like a new lover, we spent hours playing together and froliking and assuring me that we would always be together. But then, you turned on me like a woman scorned and brought upon me your full fury. You brought upon me thirty days of pouring rain, hailstorms, and your bitter cold. You unleashed your crackheads to chase me down your streets, your homeless to urinate, deficate and vomit all around me, and nasty fat troll bitter queens to harrass me and call me things like "racist" and "cunt". You pushed me to live in your darkest neighborhoods, hiding away your rent control apartments and denying me any decent place to live. You almost broke me.

Then, after you showed me your most ugly side, on the very day that I was about to pack up and leave you forever - you cleared away your clouds, enfolded me into your bossom, and showed me why I should stay. You have brought me friends, lovers, and joy.


This morning you showed me the promise of what could come - holding hands and walking down the street with a lover, boyfriend, husband. In my native state, I couldn't do this without fear or harm. In most of the world, I couldn't do this without fear of death! You though, you embrace us gay men and women into your diversity and remind us that we need to fight the religous right and educate the masses so that gay every man and woman in this country can be this comfortable in their own hometown.


Today, I am proud to be Gay and I'm proud to call San Francisco Home.

15 Comments:

Blogger DanNation said...

GREAT post - !

1:19 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Very nice letter...Awesome...and thanks for posting my picture...and nice comments...did you notice that Canadian Kelly (Jetboy) has closed up shop?!?!?! What's up with that?? Enjoy Pride SanFranciscan style...we here in Richomd have lack of Pride event...

1:55 PM  
Blogger StratoCade said...

Well-written letter Kel. Funny enough, the things you outlined in your letter are the very things that bring me to visit so often. Can't wait to see you.

4:36 PM  
Blogger StratoCade said...

Well-written letter Kel. Funny enough, the things you outlined in your letter are the very things that bring me to visit so often. Can't wait to see you.

4:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you've officially made it past the trial phase. Pride speed!

5:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah SF can be a harsh master but once you get used to it it's all good!I love it there, And truthfully you haven't experienced gay pride til you do Pride SF!

5:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK, is this where the make-up sex happens? =)

Great letter, Kel!

7:02 PM  
Blogger Dave said...

Congratulations on making the City your home, Kel!

7:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent thoughts!

It was 3 years ago that the Ontario Supreme Courts allowed gay marriage in that province. And later, the Canadian parliament have allowed it as well. Now the new government is going to re-open the debate and have ANOTHER vote! What's with that??

Society, as we know it, hasn't come tumbling down because of same-sex marriage. Chrildren haven't been permanently deranged. That's all been done by the "sane and normal people", heaven help us.

This is a mixed up world.

11:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent Post. I can remember I was a show and they said to dance. So, I started to dance with the my beautiful gentlemen friend surround by older people that were looking at me with disgust. He said you know we are getting looks and I said I don't care. Inside I was thinking that is their problem not mine because I'm dancing with the best looking person in the place. Oh, the stern looks was in SF, but still I find the city for open and friendly. It is always good to find safe havens. Hopefully, the United States will become more tolerant of gays.

9:33 AM  
Blogger Chox said...

I knew you'd make it after all. :-)

10:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Absolutly beautiful!!! And how for the Texans and others around the country to not be able to share in such love and honesty. Gay or straight - i read a genuine perspective that not enough people in this ugly world ever get to experience. Thank you Kelly for the reminder and warm smile you gave me tonight.
Much love!!!

9:19 PM  
Blogger dpaste said...

Glad you have reconciled with SF. Still, I look forward to hearing your impressions after your first Pride Parade. It's not just the boys and the spectacle. If SF is even a tenth of NYC, you will be a changed man.

4:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Me not write so well. I really need to review my stuff before submitting.

Chad, nice Mary Tyler reference.

9:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I, also, would like to chime in on how poignant your post is about SF & SF-Pride. San Francisco really touches my heart, ever since my boyfriend & I visited in October 2004. Such a wonderous City, and we had the best weather...sunny and warm during most all our visit. It was foggy & cool a bit in the mornings but that passed relatively quickly. But as much in love with the electical electricity that is San Francisco, I'd probably slit my wrists after a month of nothing but rain & fog. Sun & warmth is my lifeblood; I don't get enough as it is here in Philadelphia; but I'd probably die in San Francisco. Hey...different strokes, different cities, for different folks, right?!!

And I really have no understanding of how great SF Pride is, but I know that we gay folks seem to be more and more accepted in all of our urban areas...even blue-City San Diego's Hillcrest is something that most every suburban/rural gay man would die to experience. Here in Philadelphia, the birthplace of Liberty, there is huge tolerance, especially centered in the downtown region. But for a man who hasn't even yet experienced NYC Pride, let alone SF Pride, I'm sure Philadelphia Pride cannot even hold a candle to San Francisco's Pride. I praise San Francisco, and wish you a wonderous Pride filled with glee!

8:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home