Sunday, March 05, 2006

Lost and Found

During the process of packing up my bedroom, I have found at least $137.00 in change, 72 paper clips, 47 lighters, 35 matchbooks, every tube of berts beeswax that I ever bought, 4 unused gift cards to various resturaunts and retailers, and a little white pill which I promptly popped in my mouth.

From 11 to 1 today, I thought I was Bea Arthur.

Things are coming along, but everytime I throw something away, my Mother "rescues" it from the garbage and puts it in a box for her. I have 3 boxes, she has 27.

I've run across a few plesant suprises. I found my Monty Montgomery Cd, so I'm listening to "I know you by heart" which is one the most romantic songs every written. I highly reccomend his music.

I also found a box of high school pictures. If I had a scanner, I'd post my Senior Prom picture so you could see how fly I was in my dalmation vest. Being the good in-the-closet-gay boy that I was, I of course took "Creepy Christina" to the prom. Really pretty girl, a little psycho. She unfortunately worn glasses with tape on the bridge ALL THE TIME. I have to say, her polyester spaghetti strap black jumpsuit totally ruined our chances for "best dressed couple".

The box in the very back of my closet held the biggest suprises of all. I came across a little cedar box with the picture of "The last supper" on the lid and inside was my great-grandmothers compass. I thought I lost it, so I was very happy to see it.

I also found my silver, which I thought my mother had stolen. (Chox, it's Acorn.)

It's funny how much just holding something can bring back memories. I remember my Great-grandmother vividly, but I can't remember her voice, or her ever speaking. I was only 4 when she died, but I remember she also took me to the dresser in her room and also showed me her compass. That and she always gave me a penny.

Maybe she's haunting my room, and that's why I've found five bazillion pennies everywhere.

Ok, I've got to get back to packing.

6 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I hate moving, but you do find a lot of stuff when you move...I hope I do not have to do the packing thing anytime soon...again best of luck in SF and the three gay blogging kellys will all have to meet someday for drinks, and I vote for a visit to SF for the cocktails...hehehe

4:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're the inspiration

1:03 AM  
Blogger Pookie Pie said...

I love the little things you find when you move. However, that always makes packing such a long, drawn-out ordeal. I stop and think about things, reminisce, etc.

12:06 PM  
Blogger Dave said...

I'm glad you found you great-grandmother's compass. It's good to have those ties to the past.

BTW: if, after your move, you ever want to think you're Bea Arthur again, just eat one of those homemade brownies that long-haired people sell at San Francisco street fairs.

11:37 PM  
Blogger Sandouri Dean Bey said...

i can't believe you had that many lighters in your room

9:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I was 12, my brother's friends would open my door and throw ham at me. So when I saw the ham thing I had to comment. Love your blog.

9:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home