Friday, January 19, 2007

Damn you Grey's Anatomy

So, if you are a fan of Grey's Anatomy, you know that tonight was a very emotional episdoe. And, if you don't watch the show, then you should know that a very key character lost a close family member tonight. So if you are fan, and didn't see tonight's episode, then continue reading at your own risk....

Tonight on Grey's anatomy, George lost his father. His father lost a battle with cancer and died in a coma. It was a very well written episode,and I'm sure that everone that watched it had tears in their eyes.

I however, bawled my eyes out.

Seriously,I cried so hard I soaked my pillow.

On December 15th, 2005, my paternal Grandmother died. She sufferd a stroke, and was helicoptered to Seaton Hosiptal in Austin, Texas in hopes that a surgery might save her. I was the first family member to arrive at the hospital, I was baking Christams cookies when I got the phone call. When she finally arrived at Seaton, the surgeons told me and my Aunt that there was no hope, she was in a coma, and life support was keeping her body alive. We made the decision to take her off life support and was told she would "pass on" once the machines stopped keeping her alive.

It took 12 hours.

Twelve hours of holding her hand. Twelve hours of prayer, twelve hours of talking to her, singing Christmas caroles and hymns to her. Twelve hours of praying the rosary and bargining with God. Her spirit was gone, but when her body did finally die I was there. I was the most horrific thing I have ever witnessed, watching a loved one's body die. I hope none of you ever have to go through it.

Tonight, finally, after one year and 19 days, I finally mourned her loss.

My Grandmother was one of the most loving women God ever put on this Earth. She taught me how to cook, and food was how she expressed her love. She accepted me wholeheartedly for who I am, she only wanted me to ever be happy. She truly loved me for who I am. I loved her dearly and I wish she could know how much she taught me in life.

It's silly, that a television drama/comedy on a Thursday night made me finally open up and cry my heart out for her.

It's a lesson, appreciate those that you love, for you never know when they may may be gone.

xo

Kel

6 Comments:

Blogger Pookie Pie said...

I don't think it's silly at all that a television show helped you finally mourn your grandmother's death. You never know when that trigger is gonna bring you to the point that you can deal with your emotions.

It was a very well written episode. I, too, had tears in my eyes. I lost my father 20 years and 8 days ago. It made me think of him quite a bit.

6:53 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

awww sorry about your grandmother... jeff and i both were bawling our eyes out too... it was a very good episode and makes think about what you have and what you have lost...

6:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great post. It was an emotional show for many. Even though it was 10:00 at night, I SO wanted to call my Dad just to tell him that I love him. My heart broke for George, yet I am also proud of him and love the way his character is growing. I am glad Meredith was able to be a good friend to him and comfort him in part one. I'm also glad that Callie's there for George and that even his family who doesn't "get him" could see that Callie does. It is heart wrenching to watch George lose his Dad while Meredith struggles to have a relationship with hers. All in all, a great show, a great series. Can't wait for next week! Did you hear about an upcoming crisis on the ferry for sweeps week?

8:22 AM  
Blogger the doc said...

Lucky you. You had a wonderful grandmother, and through her love for you and your love for her, you are able to acknowledge a Supreme Being. What a great gift she gave you.

10:39 AM  
Blogger Chox said...

Oh, Kel. :-(

xo

12:02 PM  
Blogger Timbo said...

I read your post and identified with your recollections. I went through a similar experience in February and March of 2005. So, as I read your words, all my own memories accompanied them.

I didn't see the show but I stayed with you til the end of your post and then sat here for a few minutes.

One thought stands taller than the others- how is it media can trigger things within us that our closest friends can't touch?

Even more so that a blog post can reach out and create empathy and community amidst a series of electronic impulses.

Take good care...and may your grandmother's memory always burn bright.

11:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home