Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Perfect San Francisco days..

The past two days have been perfect San Francisco days. I met up with my friend Michael - Try not to panic on my blogroll - to celebrate his belated birthday. We made our way over to California and Van Ness where we caught the California Line Cable Car over to the Cable Car museum. It was cute and very interesting! Then we walked up through Chinatown and went to one of my favorite restauraunts Illuna Basque for small plates and wine. Then we dropped by the Victoria Bakery on Vallejo and bought some Italian cookies, and headed on to Coit Tower to watch the sunset over the Golden Gate Bridge. We finally made our way down to the Embarcadero and took the F-Line Street Car Home (it was the 1960 SF One ). A full day of walking in this gorgeous city.

Today I had a lunch date with myself. I wandered around the Castro and finally decided I didn't want any of the things around here for lunch. So I headed downtown to Chinatown, but just wasn't in the mood for Dim Sum, even though I love it. I settled for a Croque Madame at Cafe de la Presse and sat in the sun on the sidewalk of this charming cafe at Grant and Bush and watched all the tourists go by. It's a great spot for people watching as it is directly across the street from the Chinatown Gates. Also, Teuscher chocolates is a block away so I treated myself to some dark chocolate carmels for dessert.

Also, after much much resistance, I am finally for the first time reading Armistead Maupin's Tales of the City series. I never thought I would love these books as much as I do. He really is a fantastic writer, and there is just something about reading about wandering through North Beach or Russian Hill while you are actually wandering around in North Beach or Russian Hill. Listen to this great line:

"His name is Boris" said Anna
"You don't let him in?" (Edgar)
"He doesn't belong to me."
"ah..then it doesn't count."
"I love him." she said flatly. "That counts, doesn't it?"

How true.

xxoo

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

YOU of all people are just now getting around to reading Armistead Maupin?!?!?!?
Oh honey - you will fall in love, cry your eyes out and truly enjoy every bit of every book!!!!!!

5:01 PM  
Blogger DanNation said...

I have all the books in the series (and the new one, Michael Tolliver Lives), if you need to borrow them.

5:44 PM  
Blogger Brenna Byrd said...

I want Victoria's cookies!!!! *pout*

10:57 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

oh wow! I only realize now that you just started reading them. What book are you on?
I read the entire series months ago and recently watched the TV miniseries based on the first three books. They are awesome too.

2:29 PM  
Blogger My adventures said...

one of my all time favorite series of books... fell in love with it and have read it a few times now... when i lived in sf, i used to spend my off days looking for the locations that were in the book... i need to get to sf soon, haven't been in 10 years.... must be time....

8:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah...the Chinatown gateway. I used to work in the phone company building on Bush just up the block going east from there. One day it struck me I must be in thousands of people's vacation photos as I walked past the gate on my way to work.
Funny it never occured to me to smile and wave...

12:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home