Monday, March 13, 2006

Blue eyes cryin in the rain..

So I almost made it through this weekend with my family without shedding a tear. Then today I had to tell my Momma good-bye. I didn't make it through that very well. I guess deep down all good southern men are just really Momma's boys at heart. As we were driving off, I cried for about 5 miles, then I had to stop. My friend Incognito was driving me back to Austin from my hometown (as I have sold my car) and we stopped and picked some Bluebonnets, which I'll keep pressed in book forever.

Now just on a side note, I read somewhere once that the reasons all Texans are so
tough is becuase from the time we are born, every spring our Momma's dress us in our Sunday best and make us take pictures in the fields of Bluebonnets. In fact, anytime you encounter a traffic jam on any Sunday in March and April in Texas, you can bet it's becuase of the line of cars on the side of the road where families have pulled over for their "Bluebonnet" pictures. Bluebonnets, aside from being the prettiest and most fragrant wildflower in the Great State of Texas, are also a host to a multitude of Texas critters including stink bugs, lizards, snakes, and of course, the ever present fire ants. Let me tell you, ever Texas child knows that while you are sitting in a field of Bluebonnets while your Momma is standing out there in her good heels, GOD help you if you dare move while she was taking your pictures and you get your good clothes dirty, or even worse, make the pictures blurry, no matter what matter of insect or beast was crawling over you or even worse stinging or biting you!

So anyway, it's my last night in Texas, at least for a while. I went to dinner with my best friend I've known since Jr. High, so that's been pretty long. We went and had good greasy Tex-Mex, and some good margaritas and sat outside in the balmy night air. She talked about her upcoming wedding, and I talked about my weekend.

I'll write more about it tomorrow, but I will tell you that yesterday my family put on the biggest bar-be-que send off party for me on Saturday and I was very touched by all my family and friends who showed up. I had aunts, uncles and cousins crawling out of the woodwork, even some kissin cousins. More importantly some friends of mine from Austin made the two hour drive south just to be with me. But the biggest suprise of all was that my favorite cousin (acutally my 2nd cousin) and his boyfriend drove 6 hours down from East Texas to say good-bye. I have to brag a little and tell you, I have the most amazing, loving family and some of the best friends that anyone could ever ask for. I hope that this trend continues on in California.

So this is it (and now I have the "One Day at a Time" theme song in my head). At 8:30 am CST I get on a plane and head west. I'm excited, I'm ready, and I'm looking forward to starting over with new goals, and a new world to conquer.

But I think I just might have to cry a little on the plane.

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

By the time you read this, I expect you will be in your new hometown of SF. You obviously love Texas and a lot of people there love you. Here's hoping that you can find similar, but different joys in your new home, and find many things to attach your heart to the way you did back home. I have a lot of respect for people who hold on to their roots. I don't know if I will ever have an opportunity that will take me from Tennessee, but if I do ever leave, Tennessee will always be with me. I think you're much the same. Guess its Southern thing.

11:50 AM  
Blogger dpaste said...

Best of luck on your new adventure!

1:51 PM  
Blogger the doc said...

You're only moving to San Fran for goodness sake. You are not on a mission to Mars. Sorry, I forgot, California is stranger than Mars.

3:14 PM  
Blogger Rey Rey said...

Awww, that was such a sweet and poignant post, Kel... I'm sure your Cali family will welcome you with open arms.

xo

5:55 PM  
Blogger Dave said...

Sounds like a good send-off. I bet you're going to get a lot of visitors over the next year or two.

8:39 PM  
Blogger Pope-rah said...

Good luck, sweetness! Can't wait to hear about your new adventures!

8:53 PM  
Blogger Kevin said...

I, however, have the Blue Bonnet margarine commercial stuck in my head ...

"Everything's better with Blue Bonnet on it."


Thanks a lot, Kel.

12:55 PM  
Blogger Miss Janie said...

I'm getting a bit choked up b/c you're leaving Texas!!

My mom never took pictures of me in the bluebonnets because she knew that I would cry and scream if something bit me in there. But it never ceases to amaze me how amazed she gets to see all those cars off of 30.

Anyway... wish you the best of luck in SF.

Ciao.

5:53 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I think of the old butter commercial, something along the lines of 'blue bonnet on it"...hmmm...I hope you get moved in and settled with ease...good luck...keep us posted...

9:46 PM  
Blogger Moby said...

I'm sorry to have missed the festivities of your arrival. I was stuck on an ambulance.

Moving is a big deal even when it's not.

Oh did you bring my hat? (no I'm not selfish at all. hehehe....do you like sushi?)

12:53 PM  
Blogger Lori Witzel said...

When you miss Central Texas, come over to my blog and look at random odd pix.

There's so much beautiful surreal homely and homey things to see, had to catch some and share.

(Found your blog via a breadcrumb trail of comments on other blogs, hope y'all don't mind me posting.)

8:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home