Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Let's do...Brunch

Most of you know I grew up in a small ass Texas town. "Culture" wasn't something we expierenced much - mostly consisting of High School Band Concerts or what one could catch on PBS. Life was pretty routine. One thing for certain was every Sunday morning my Mom would wake my tired ass up at 7:00 am to get ready for 8:00 mass (we were Catholic). I hated going to church and I mostly hated waking up that early on a weekend!

Some Sundays, however, were worth it.

Every once in a while, after mass, we would go to Brunch.

My parents were friends with a couple that went to our church - Mr. and Mrs. Moore. They were elderly, and had lived all over the world. They had this big turn of the century house about a block away from our church, and they would invite us and another couple with children over after Mass sometimes.

Mrs. Moore was from Louisana, and she was a true Lady. Let me let you in on a little secret of the South - Good Southerners have manners, but Louisiana Southerners have manners AND know how to entertain! Mrs. Moore would set up a spread of good Southern Brunch food like crawfish pie, benigets, community club coffee, and the best coconut cake you ever ate! Most importantly, she kept the Bloody Mary's flowing. She even made Virgin Mary's for all of us kids. She would regale us with stories of her youth, show us trinkets from around the world, and give us homemade rock candy.

I've always LOVED Brunch ever since. Back in Austin, my friends and I would get together almost every Sunday and spend all day drinking Mimosa and Bloody Marys, making some of the most fattening food God created, and laughing all day until either a: we all passed out or b: the Champagne ran out (we ususally went through a case or two).

It's one of the things I miss most about Austin. Its something I really wanted to share with my friends here in San Francisco. Well, I tried.

If you haven't already, you can read about what happend Here at Natoma or here at Chox or sing the tribute song at Panic or BEST YET download the video and see for yourself at Dan-Nation !!

I take no responsbility for any of the drunkeness or injuries. I was simply there to make the quiche.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It all starts with an innocent Bloody Mary... every time.

Having said that, I sure you y'all can manage another brunch at least once this weekend.

4:08 PM  
Blogger jetboy747 said...

I'm learning a lot about Texas. Well, from one episode of 'Friday Night Lights'.

Thanks the heavens for Mrs. Moore, is all I have to say.

Like a poached egg. I'm done with the Friday night lights.

7:22 PM  
Blogger Kalv1n said...

Quiche indeed! I hope we do brunch more often. Even though we don't have manners.

7:40 PM  
Blogger Michael said...

And such a fab quiche it was!

10:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home