Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Losing a hero..

My Best Friend from Texas just called me.. "Kel", he said "The Governor has passed." I knew immediately he meant Ann Richards , not the current Governor, but definetly the best Governor Texas ever had, the 45th, and a one-termer. She died around 10pm CST September 13, 2006 after a battle with throat cancer.

Her official bio says she was from Waco, Texas - although my Great-Aunt from Waco always called her "that Gal from Lacy Lakeview." (She didn't like her much, but then my Aunt was a bit conservative, people from Waco aren't fond of Lacy Lakeview). She was a great orater, she shaped my political belifs and inspired me to participate in the political process. I always hope she would have reached a higher office one day.



I had the pleasure of meeting her twice in my life, and found her quick in a witty charming way. I don't think they make women like her anymore - tough ol Gals.

An educator of the masses she fought for the rights of the underdog, minorities, women and definitly a friend of the gays. Those who loved her found her a champion. Those who hated her did so becuase she shone a light of justice on those men who will always expoloit the weak for their advantage.

She was a legend in Texas politics, and appearing on the cover of Texas Monthly riding a Harley Davidson is the way I remember her best.



She is a iconic symbol of my home state, and I'm sure all of Texas is in mourning for her tonight. I am proud to say she is one of my heros, and my heart is heavy with her loss.

Asked once what she might have done differently had she known she was going to be a one-term governor, Richards grinned.

"Oh, I would probably have raised more hell."

Give 'em hell Ann. May you continue to inspire us all.

xo

Kel


Ann Richards
1933-2006

10 Comments:

Blogger Moby said...

awww. Give'em hell up there Ann! We miss you.

12:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh God... I didn't know she was ill... I'm really sad about this. Another amazingly bright firebrand, gone. :(

1:15 AM  
Blogger Joel said...

I only knew her from her governorship through the Doritos commercial with Mario Cuomo. But I'll never forget "Poor George...born with a silver foot in his mouth."
I agree with you -- a great lady.

1:35 AM  
Blogger matty said...

I am so sad to read that we lost her. She was One Of A Kind and she was a gift. That was a great tribute. Now, I am depressed.

8:41 AM  
Blogger Chox said...

Kel, that was beautifully written. I remember asking you about how you felt about Ann Richards one of the first times I talked to you, and your words of admiration left no doubt in my mind you had a lot of respect for her. She was a true Texan...the kind of Texan yankees from Ohio like myself could relate to and with whom we could find common ground even though she was from the People's Republic of Texas. I always admired her from afar...wishing that Ohio could have some as vivacious and driven as Ms. Richards to represent and lead my home state.

California may have Arnold, Ohio may have...well, nobody really worth mentioning, but Texas will always have The Governor Ann Richards. She made me secretly wish I had been born there.

Until, of course, the next guy that wandered into the Texas Governor's Mansion...

10:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didn't realize she only had one term. I always had the sense she had been in there a while. That shows how much of an impact she had.

11:52 AM  
Blogger DanNation said...

She will definiately be missed. George W ruined her reelection by planting stories about her sexuality with the press...one of the examples of the many men who felt threatened by her.

It's too bad. She rocked and I was shocked to learn that she had died.

4:12 PM  
Blogger thephoenixnyc said...

She was awesome. We loved her up in NYC.

Sad that she is gone but she lived a great, full life.

6:02 PM  
Blogger Jimmi said...

Kel, don't worry, she still may have a "Higher Office" one day my friend! :)

That was a beautiful post!

Jimmi

7:17 PM  
Blogger Miss Janie said...

You know I cried when I heard this on the 10 o'clock news last night. She was a great and sassy lady and an even better governor.

George and Rick can't hold a candle to her greatness.

And you know Texas will never be the same.

8:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home