Wednesday, February 15, 2006

1st inning, 1 Strike 1 Ball

So I called home today, and my Daddy answered.

He was not happy.
Let me just tell you something about my father. To him, there is no where else worth living other than Texas. To the east, you have those crazy coon-asses in Losey-ana. To the north, all the injuns in Oklahoma, and New Mexico might as well be part of Old Mexico for all that Texans acknowledge it. The only worse place in the world than Neeew York Citeee, is California. And he can just not understand why in the world I would want to go out there and live with all those hippies, dope-fiends, and freaks that make up that state. Bigger'n Dallas! (That, my friends, is a Texas exclamation of extreme emotion)

He basically said "You a'int goin". Strike one.

Now, finally I got my mother on the phone.


Now my mom understands the desire to get away a little bit more. She is a smart woman, a little more educated and wordly than my father. However, she is afraid of life, and always has been. When she was a young woman, it was her dream to go to college and move away from the little town she grew up in. It never happened, her parents wouldn't let her go. She even had a scholarship, but "women didn't need to be educated." and I think she's always let that defeat her. She knows deep down she wants me to go out and do what I want, but she's scared for me to do it. So, while she's not full out encouraging me to move, she's also holding back a lot of the guilt she wants to throw at me.

Our conversation was more subdued, more about me reassuring her I'll be ok. She's getting there faster than I thought she would.

I'm heading home this weekend to take some things home - china, crystal, keepsakes I don't want to take to SF, but don't want to get rid of. It will be interesting to see what happens.

If you don't hear from me by Monday, someone send the cavalry, they've got me locked up in the attic.

5 Comments:

Blogger jjd said...

good luck with the rents.

7:51 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

are you sure you did not call my parents in virginia??? good luck!

10:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well. I can relate. My mom's more understanding about my California dreams, but my father spent an entire visit two years ago dissuading me from following through on it. Two years later I'm still not where I want to be careerwise and am mos def going through with it.

9:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting that you corrected the spelling but did not post the comment!

Pussoir!

7:22 PM  
Blogger Kelicious said...

No, i just don't like posting Anonymous comments with out knowing the author's intention.

3:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home