Friday, July 21, 2006

On Songs and Playlists

Everyone once in a while - well really wayyyy to often - here at the radio station we are "requested" (read that forced) to meet with a "new & upcoming artist" in the conferece room for a private performance and listen to him/her try to belt out a few tunes without the help of their music mixers, bands, synthesiezers, and whatever else record companies use to make their voices passible (think, Paris Hilton has an album- come on!).

Usually I feel sorry for these guys/girls who are trying to make it in the brutal music business. Record companies pick these kids up out of the corn patch in middle America, promise them fame and record deals and then drag them across the country promoting their one soon to be hit and try to get they as much exposure as possible. 9 times out of 10 these "artists" can't carry a tune even with a paper bag. The decent ones end up with a WB Series theme song, or even a guest spot. The other poor slobs we never hear from again.


Yesterday, though, we met Landon Pigg . This guy has it. His vocal range is amazing, he can play the guitar, he has the look AND he can write some good songs. I hope he makes it, mainly just becuase I have his autograph - seriously though, the kid has some talent.

I added his single "Can't let Go" to my iPod. It's a mournful melody about old loves...it's a little repitious but good. The sytle reminds me of Blue October. Anyway, I listened to it this morning and it imediatley brought to mind my last love...we'll just call him Sam.

I really loved Sam, but I was afraid of that love. I think he was too. We had some things go wrong and both of us used it as an excuse to drift away. We both moved away from Austin - I to San Francisco, and Sam to basically Nowhere Texas - and haven't really kept up with each other. The few times we've talked though, almost kills me. Of course, I'm the one calling or emailing him, and I can never really get out what I want to say; which is "I love you and I want us to be together". However, I get so angry that he let us go that I want to scream.

I guess I have no closure - but I don't really want closure - ie... I "Can't Let Go".

Those of you that know me in person know that I don't pine away for people. I don't belive in letting yourself get wrapped up in one person, and I really refuse to cry over a guy.

I will admit now though, that sometimes I let that stone wall down and let the ache come through, today is one of those days.

So here is my melancholey playlist for my "Sam" days.

xo




Heart Ache Playlist
Tori Amos - Tear in your hand
Anna Nalick - Breathe
Shawn Mullins - Rockabye
Gary Allen - Songs about Rain
Monte Montgomery - I know you by heart
George Strait - Run
Keith Urban - You'll think of me
Sheryl Crow - Leaving Las Vegas
Jars of Clay - flood
Heart - What about Love
Catherine Wheel - Black Metallic
Five for fighting - superman
Heart - Alone
Ryan Cabrerra - On my way down
Primitve Radio Gods - Standing in a Broken phone booth...
U2 - All I want is you
Roxette - Waterclours in the Rain
Melissa Ethride - Bring me some water


Ps..JR it was good to see you on the train this morning, I needed that.

9 Comments:

Blogger StratoCade said...

Dear Lord. I'm about to slit my wrists just looking at that list...

1:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Coming from your ex-roommate and life coach, please tell me it's not who I think it is...and if my visions of long haired indie rockers are right, so help me I'll come down to San Fran and set you as right as you set me with all my poor choices to pine over...Though I must say none of your loves ever got picked up by vice squad

9:55 PM  
Blogger Eye Que said...

Im with Stratocade... OUCH

11:43 PM  
Blogger Richard said...

Right now I am looping to Amiee Mann's "Save me" ... but we all knew that, right? Thanks for the glimpse at your list. And double thanks for the call this weekend - it made me feel better.

2:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bonnie Raitt " I can't make you love me" anyone?

4:55 PM  
Blogger Fabiola Rodríguez said...

I had discovered that you are a fan of PR2 and also Dany V, and I wanna tank you for it Im from Mexico city and I watched that program.

6:28 PM  
Blogger Sam said...

Hang in there! Then find something new and screw them over I always say...

9:31 PM  
Blogger dpaste said...

Is it bad that I only know seven of those songs?

8:21 AM  
Blogger Pookie Pie said...

I'm a little behind in catching up on your blog... I hope this didn't last too long, pookie. You're right, this isn't like you. *HUUUUUUUUGZZZZZZZ*

*whisper* you should put some Joni Mitchell in there

9:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home