Tuesday, August 01, 2006

I should've known...

While waiting for my friends to SEND ME THE VEGAS PICTURES so I can post them..I thought this would be fun to do:

JR over at Memoirs of a Gay-chia had this fun little Meme. He want everyone to give 10 reasons why they should've known they were gay growing up. Sorry JR, but you and I are going to share some of them.

I should've known I was gay as a kid growing up becuase:


1. Dress up. I loved to play dress up - I was basically a 5 year old drag queen. I remember watching Crystal Gayle on the TV (antenna,not cable) and thought she was the most beautiful woman in the world. I would run around the house with a brown blanket on my head and blue eyeshadow on singing "The sound of Good-bye" very very Brother Boy . Another one of my favorite "outfits" was my female spy outfit. I would don one of my mother's wigs from the 60's, put on all her costume jewlery,grab a clutch bag and put my pop-gun in it. We had a large open living room - aka my ball room. I'd pretend to leave the ball and go hunting for my micro film or whatever secret maps I had to steal from the safe.


2. I threw the biggest hissy fit a child ever threw when my Momma wouldn't buy me a My Little Pony at Winn's 5 and 10. She finally conceded and bought me "Rainbow" a white pony with a purple mane and a rainbow brand...she smelled like baby powder. I kept her in my brother's old GI Joe footlocker I had been handed down.

3. Even though I was in no way athletic, or even liked sports, my parents signed me up for T-ball when I was 6. My last name made me last on the roster and I got to sit next to Dawn Hovey, the first girl ever to be allowed to play T-ball. She had to sit last becuase she was a girl. We became fast friends and rather than learn how to pitch, catch a ball, or throw...I learned all the Browine Songs - and still can sing them to this day.

4. I was, and still am, my Mother's interior decorator, professional picture hanger, stylist, wardrobe consultant, personal shopper, massuse, and ettiqute consultant. I stated this job when I was 4 and told her I thought the heavy Spanish Style furniture in our livign room was "Out" and convinced her to replace the bull fighter velvet hangings and repaint the house southwestern. Like JR, I would rearrage the rooms in the house every so often to keep things interesting.


5. When my friends and I played make-belive, I was always a girl. In Justice League - I was Wonder Woman, with my gold jump rope and tennis bands. In Cowboys and Indians, I was Pocahontus, keeping the Teepee and serving up beef jerky. If we built a fort, or treehouse- I alwasy insisted we put in a kitchen and fireplace- how were we supposed to entertain if we didn't have one?


6. I planned, directed and performed my own musical review - to all my stuffed animals. When I was about 6 my cousin gave me her old record player. It was in a white and orange plastic case and I could keep it in my room. I had this old Walt Disney Record with alot of the songs from the 60's era movies on it like Supercalifragiclisticexpialidocious and The Jungle Book. My favorite though, was this very torch song version of Bibbity Bobbity Boo. I would line up my animals like at a Caberet (it had been on HBO when we finally got cable!)and sing along with the record...of course making costume changes inbetween songs...the show ran for years.

7. My Great Aunt who lived across the street owned a jewlery store that she ran out of part of her house. I have several custom pieces of silver, turquoise and coral jewlery that I asked her for..unfortunetly the rings and necklaces are all in child's sizes as I had asked for them between the ages of 6 and 10.


8. When I got old enough for He-Man and She-ra "action figures"..my He-man boy dolls always lived in the castle together and slept in the same beds. As did my castle system lego men.

9. I always would rather play with my girl friends than my boy friends. My favorite play mates were the Kuzinarek sisters. We would play barbie (they would MAKE me be Ken) and play house, or wedding. Once they let me be the bride. We would also dress up in their mothers dresses and high heels and have fashion parades...something that their Mother proudly remembered at The oldest girl's wedding a few years ago.."And this is J's childhood friend Kelly" as she introduced me to some of her friends "He used to run around in my high heels."

10. I was in love with my Mom's best friend's son. When I was 4 or 5 my mom would let her best friend's son, Greg, babysit me...I think he was about 16. He was tall, had long blond hair, and was very very athletic, and never wore a shirt..ever. I thought he was beautiful..I wanted to grow up and marry him. Sigh..the one that got away.

Thank's JR, for a fun challenge :) How did we never not know?

5 Comments:

Blogger jetboy747 said...

Don't it make my brown eyes blue?

Hilarious. Thanks for the laugh. I, myself, had a few "outfits". My little pony never did much for me, but I was SO into the smurfs. All those men in one village. *fans face* In my dreams Smurfette always met a grim demise.

1:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh honey - you made my day! But I seriously would have guessed Dolly Parton instead of Crystal Gayle.
Love ya'!
Miss ya'!

2:25 PM  
Blogger dpaste said...

We'll I can't say I was as extreme as that, but I do empathize.

10:41 AM  
Blogger Richard said...

My big thing was Star Wars ... Luke Skywalker and Han Solo getting it on. Of course, I always liked the Empire ... the uniforms, the minimalist decor, the heavy breathing. The Rebel Alliance was always too grungy.

What I wouldn't give for a few Jedi mind tricks up my sleeve ... you will leave the bar with me ... you will take of all of your clothes ... hell, you will call me the next day!

8:45 AM  
Blogger Sam said...

That was F'ing Fantastic! Loved every minute of it.

11:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home