Friday, August 18, 2006

Who threw that Book at Me

Waffles , Jeff , and Dan of the new and improved Dan-Nation had this MEME up. Rather than fill you all in on my crazy week, I'll just lend you insight to my mind with this:

1. One book you have read more than once:
Half Magic by Edgar Eager c. 1954 - As a child I would ready anything I could get my hands on, I'm still like that today. I found this book in an old box of stuff my brother left behind, and I fell in love with the story. Four small children find a talisman that only grant half-wishes. This story never fails to charm me and take me away into their world and imagination. Even though it's a children's story, I still read it every once in a while today.

2. One book you would want on a desert island:
Colony - Anne Rivers Siddons c. 1992 - A co-worker gave me this to read at the beach and I was lost in it for weeks. Its a great "light" read about a southern woman who falls in love and marries a yankee and spends all her subsiquent summers at the familes Maine enclave. It's a book I read over and over and never get bored with the story.

3. One book that made you laugh:
The Sweet Potato Queens Book of Love - Jill Conner Browne c.1999 - This book will make you laugh out loud. If you are not from the South, it will give you great understanding of why we are all a little crazy down there, and if you are from the South, it will give you fond memories of your favorite Aunt/Niece/Cousin/Mother, etc. Great recipies are hidden throughout the stories, as well as the secret on how to get a man to do whatever you want with "the promise".


4. One book that made you cry:
Ok, I admit it, I cried reading Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince. I'm a big baby.

5. One book you wish you had written:
Angry Housewives Eating Bon-Bons by Lorna Ladvik. A tale of 4 Minnesotian Housewives surving the 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's. I love their unity, and how they grow as characters throughout the years. I love Ladvik's style of story development, I wish I could write like that.

6. One book you wish had never been written:
It - by Stephen King. I can't watch clowns and I can't cross a bridge on foot without worrying that a balloon is going to come floating out from under it..which actually did happen to me once.

7. One book you are currently reading:
A Prayer For Owen Meany- John Irving. This is the first John Irving novel I've read and I can't wait to read his others. You have to get so involved in his stories. I've had to go back and re-read paragraphs to make sure I didn't miss anything. I can't wait to get to the end so i can start over at the beginning.

8. One book you have been meaning to read:
Everything at Borders.


9. One Book That Changed Your Life:
As corny as this sounds, "Queen of the Damned" and "The Vampire Lestat" both by Anne Rice really did change my life. Underneath the homo-erotic vampire tales of love is a big challenge to the Catholic Church. I read these novels when I was 15 to 16 years old, and was greatly influenced by them. Reading them let me to my own way of thinking, and helped me accept that I was gay, and let me to break away from the Church that I was so ingrained in. I actually got to thank Anne Rice in person for that, it was a great moment.

10. Tag - I'm tagging Incognito Eye Que and Smaller than Selma b/c they need to write more!

2 Comments:

Blogger Chox said...

I'm tagging you to write about the Surburban Family Attemping To Cut In A Taxi Line And You Thwarting Their Efforts With A Bag Of Canned Green Beans story.

Bring it!

7:08 PM  
Blogger the doc said...

At my age, I can read books time and again, not remember them, and enjoy them time and again. Definite advantage of CRS. Have already read, and forgotten 2 (or is it 3) books while here on the OBX.

9:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home