Saturday, November 25, 2006

Bienavidos a Costa Rica

Entra Bajo su propia responsabilidad!

(Welcome to Costa Rica...proceed at your own risk.)

This should be the slogan of Costa Rica. Everything attraction here, while amazingly beautiful, comes with some degree of risk to personal injury. I guess this is the norm in a country which has at lease three active volcanoes and a major fault line through the middle of the capital city (which I am about 1 km from and have to cross anytime we drive anywhere.)

My flight down here was thankfully uneventful and nice. I slept pretty much the whole way. Upon landing, my friend Jason picked my two friends and I up and drove us to his home in Escazu. Did I say home, I mean fabulous gated house atop the hill with a view of San Jose. We were all pretty tired from the trip, so we all retired to our seperate rooms and prepared for our 2 hour drive to
Tabacon the next morning.



Tabacon is an amazing resort. The drive there alone was worth the trip as we drove the the "Cloud forest" apart of the mountains so high you actually drive through the clouds. The tabacon resort and hot springs are at the base of the Arenal Volcano which is a very active volcano. At night you can see the lava flows glow red down the side of the mountain, and about ever half hour there was this thunderous BOOM as a minor eruption took place. It was beautiful and unsettling at the same time.


I honestly didn't feel like it was real. I guess Americans are so used to "Disney-esque" vacations that we don't comprehend that no that's really not a staged volcano, and no the monkeys and birds were not flown in and yes mother nature here is bold and dramatic yet also dangerous. It's hard to explain I guess, but yeah, I went to relax at a spa at the base of a volcano that could erupt and kill us at any moment surrounded by a jungle filled with deadly snakes, spiders and other things (the natives here are even afraid of the butterflies, they think the wings can make you ill, i'm taking their word for it.)

The spa, however, is very relaxing. I spent about 4 hours relaxing in the hot springs and then had a full body massage in an outdoor private spa room. Between that and the fresh Pina Coladas I'm not thinking about much else.

Ok, time for a siesta. I'll write more soon, tell you about the horseback riding, the La Fortuna falls, and the ginger kids from hell.

xo

ciao

kel

4 Comments:

Blogger Chox said...

Now THAT'S living, Aunt Carol. Wish I could join you. :-)

3:41 AM  
Blogger Nick Natoma said...

When are you heading back? We need to grab drinks so that I can hear about your trip. Btw, when you flew into San Jose were there men with guns standing up on elevated platforms in the airport? When I went a few years back there were and it kinda made me uncomfortable. Don't make faces at them, they don't like that.

11:39 AM  
Blogger Kalv1n said...

Wow, it sounds like you having quite the time.

5:36 PM  
Blogger DanNation said...

Welcome back, and let's do drinks on Wednesday....for god's sake, let's do them tonight!

6:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home